National Tortilla Chip Day
Five things you should know about
- Most tortilla chips are triangular shaped because they are cut from round tortilla.
- In Mexico, Tortilla Chips are called tostados, toasted chips. Outside of North America they are called “corn chips”
- Doritos brand is the first toasted tortilla chip launched nationally in the U.S.(1966)
- Tortilla chips are considered the most fattening item sold in Mexican restaurants with as much as 2 grams of fat per chip.
- Nachos, chips topped with a variation of shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream, etc., are said to be created by Ignacia Anaya in 1943, account for 30% of all restaurant tortilla chips
On This Day in Food History…
1874 RIP John Bachman, A Naturalist who wrote some of the text for John James Audubon’s albums of birds and mammals of North America.
1938 DuPont begins production of nylon…
View original post 66 more words