- 1 small eggplant (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 piece fresh ginger, about 1 inch, grated
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 pound small fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup diced tomatoes (peeled and seeded)
- 1 15-ounce can no-salt-added chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans)
- 1 14-ounce can light coconut milk
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
Wash and trim eggplant. Do not peel. Quarter and remove seeds. Cut into 1-inch cubes. Eggplant should yield about 3 cups. Wash and trim zucchini. Cut into 1-inch cubes. You should have about 1 cup. Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add garlic, onion, and eggplant. Saute until eggplant begins to soften, about five minutes. Add zucchini, ginger, curry powder, mushrooms, and diced tomato. Cook for two minutes. Add chickpeas and coconut milk. Cook on medium heat until all ingredients are heated through. Serve with hot rice and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
Each serving contains about 276 calories, 9 g protein, 14 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 29 g carbohydrates, 8 g fiber, and 31 mg sodium. A 1/2-cup serving of brown rice adds about 109 calories, 2 g protein, less than 1 g fat, 23 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, and 1 mg sodium.
To make this recipe gluten free, use only spices or condiments that are gluten free. Read food labels carefully and contact the company if you have any questions.
Printed from Banner Health